Kenya Sport

Liverpool's Pursuit of Mbaye Faces Major Setback

Liverpool’s chase for PSG forward Mbaye has hit a serious snag just as the transfer window heads into its final stretch.

Mbaye Runs Out of Patience

According to L'Equipe, the Senegalese attacker has grown increasingly frustrated with how long the saga has dragged on and is now ready to listen to other clubs. He is said to feel Liverpool have allowed the talks to drift, turning what could have been a straightforward move into a drawn-out ordeal.

That shift in mood is significant. Mbaye had been viewed as one of Liverpool’s priority attacking targets, but his openness to alternative offers changes the dynamic of the deal and piles pressure on Anfield’s hierarchy.

His PSG team-mate Bradley Barcola has reportedly voiced his own irritation at the delays, hinting at a wider impatience within the French club’s dressing room over the slow pace of negotiations.

€20m Gap Blocks the Deal

At the heart of the stalemate lies a hard financial line. Liverpool and PSG are separated by a sizeable difference in valuation, with reports of a €20 million gap between the Premier League club’s offer and the French champions’ demands.

Liverpool have pushed back against PSG’s asking price for the Senegal international, while PSG have so far refused to budge. Talks are said to be progressing, but only slowly. With less than ten days left in the window, that pace is nowhere near what Liverpool need.

The risk for the Reds is clear: even if the clubs eventually find common ground, Mbaye’s growing frustration with the process could still derail the move.

Iraola’s Attacking Puzzle

All of this lands at the worst possible time for Andoni Iraola. The new Liverpool head coach is trying to rebuild a forward line that has just lost its talisman.

Mohamed Salah has departed, leaving a huge hole on the right wing and in the goals column. Around him, the squad has been stripped of experience and reliability: Curtis Jones, Ibrahima Konate and Andrew Robertson have all left this summer, ripping out three more pillars of recent Liverpool sides.

Iraola arrived after Arne Slot was sacked on the back of a miserable 2025-26 campaign, and while there has been activity, the sense of a true marquee attacking signing has yet to materialise. Victor Munoz and Jeremy Jacquet have come through the door, along with Barcelona loanee Ronald Araujo, but none of them solves the glaring need for a statement winger.

The search has already produced one setback. Brighton rejected a €50m bid for Yankuba Minteh, underlining how costly and complicated elite wide options have become. At the same time, Cody Gakpo is being strongly linked with a move to Tottenham Hotspur, raising the prospect of yet another attacking departure.

Window Closing, Pressure Rising

Strip away the names and numbers and the reality is stark: if Liverpool fail to land Mbaye, Barcola or Minteh, Iraola could start the season with some of the thinnest wing options in the Premier League.

That is not the platform any new manager wants, let alone at a club that expects to compete at the top end of the table.

The timing makes it even more brutal. News of Mbaye’s disillusionment has broken with the window ticking into its final days. The margin for error has gone. Liverpool’s recruitment team must either close the €20m gap with PSG or pivot instantly to an alternative of similar calibre, or risk stepping into the new campaign underpowered in attack.

There will be no gentle bedding-in period. Iraola’s reign begins with a trip to St James’ Park on Sunday, where Liverpool open their 2026-27 Premier League season away to Newcastle.

By then, will Mbaye be on the plane, or will Liverpool be boarding without the statement winger their season already seems to demand?