Matthias Jaissle's Ambitious Vision for Newcastle United
Matthias Jaissle has barely unpacked his bags on Tyneside, but he already knows the clock is ticking.
The new Newcastle United head coach, unveiled at St James’ Park this week, cut a calm figure in front of the cameras. Upstairs, though, sporting director Ross Wilson was deep in negotiations, trying to turn a summer of transition into a squad ready for Liverpool on August 23.
Jaissle’s Newcastle vision
Jaissle has been sold a bold project by Newcastle’s owners, PIF, and he made it clear that ambition was the hook that dragged him away from his previous life.
“That we are ambitious? That's the most important thing, that's why I decided to come here,” he said, reflecting on the conversations that convinced him to succeed Eddie Howe. PIF spent last week with him in La Manga, setting out the club’s direction during a crucial pre-season camp.
He is under no illusions about the scale of the rebuild.
“This will not happen overnight, especially when you have such a big transition phase now,” he admitted. “Then you need to have a clear goal, a clear vision of where we want to go to, and that starts with the decision makers up in front, from the management, from the board.
“And then if you have that synergy with the fans, the staff, and the players, everyone is included to go there. Then I'm pretty sure it will be a successful story. But we need time now.”
Time is one thing. New signings are another.
Transfer work in overdrive
While Jaissle faced questions about philosophy and pressure, Wilson was working on the hard part: players.
Newcastle are in talks with Benfica over defender Amar Dedic, who has been described by insiders as “an option” rather than a done deal. Alongside that, discussions continue over bringing in an experienced central midfielder, a profile the squad badly lacks after departures and injuries last season.
The feeling inside the club is that Newcastle still need around four more signings to be genuinely equipped for a top-six push. That’s a big ask with the Premier League opener just around the corner.
Asked how “busy” the club were behind the scenes, Jaissle bristled slightly at the word.
“I cannot interpret what is busy for you, probably it's different busy from what I think is busy,” he replied. “It's a job for Ross and the management to find solutions, to provide something.
“We are all optimistic. We have time. I am here for 36 hours in Newcastle, I had a bit of time in La Manga already to get the lads better. We work on it, that's all I can say here in the press conference. Keep the optimism.”
He has been in the job for only about 10 days. The whirlwind started with a phone call.
The call that changed everything
Jaissle revealed he learned he was in line to replace Howe at the end of July.
“I received a call at the end of July, when it was clear that most likely Eddie would quit,” he said.
The opportunity was too big, and too well aligned with his own ideas, to ignore.
“Obviously if there's first of all a club original from Premier League, and then also a club like Newcastle with that special club history, that fan base, that DNA, which is so linked to the idea of how I want to play football.
“There was no doubt or question marks but [I had to] to listen and take that process further. For sure I had a big smile.”
The smile is still there. The hard work starts now. With Liverpool looming and key deals still in motion, Newcastle’s new era will not be judged on words, or even dreams sold in La Manga, but on who walks out in black and white when the curtain finally rises.




