Kenya Sport

Aston Villa's New Era: Zion Suzuki as No.1 Goalkeeper

Aston Villa are moving into a new era in goal – and they know it.

Japan international Zion Suzuki has arrived at Villa Park with a clear brief: he is coming in to be Unai Emery’s first-choice goalkeeper, regardless of what happens with Emi Martinez.

That was the message from journalist Sam Tighe on Sky Sports on Wednesday (11:40, August 19), as he underlined that Villa’s long-term World Cup-winning No.1 is no longer guaranteed his shirt.

Suzuki signed with No.1 assurances

Villa have fought hard to keep Martinez in recent seasons. Interest has never been in short supply, but every time a suitor appeared, the Argentine stayed put and remained the undisputed starter.

This time feels different.

Suzuki’s move has been confirmed, and Tighe stressed that the 22-year-old has not crossed continents to sit on the bench.

“Villa are bringing in Suzuki despite the fact that Martinez’s move to Juventus failed. He’s being brought in on the condition of being No.1,” Tighe said.

That tallies with the collapse of Suzuki’s proposed switch to PSG, which, according to Tighe, fell apart for three key reasons – one being the lack of guarantees over his status and the prospect of being shuttled around on loan.

“I think Suzuki has a very clear idea of what he’s going to be doing at Aston Villa,” he added.

Villa, then, are not hedging. They are acting as if the changing of the guard is already under way.

Martinez future clouded by lack of obvious options

All of that leaves a huge question hanging over Martinez.

“Villa need to find a solution for Emi Martinez,” Tighe said. “It doesn’t take a lot of money here, I think, to get him. The wages might be a problem.”

The bigger issue, though, is simple: where does he go?

“The real concern for Martinez and Villa is that I’m looking around for options and I’m struggling to find them,” Tighe admitted.

Juventus, long seen as a natural landing spot, are now “off the table”. Atletico Madrid showed interest last summer, but Jan Oblak is still in place and remains a major obstacle to any move.

The Saudi Pro League surfaced as a possibility last year, but Martinez did not want to go. Whether that stance softens this time is unclear. Turkey, a regular part of the rumour mill for big-name keepers, does not look straightforward either.

The so-called big four all have established No.1s. Ederson is at Fenerbahce, Besiktas have just brought in Alexander Nubel, and similar situations exist across the rest of the elite there. The doors are not exactly swinging open.

“I’m scratching around for options here, as the club will be,” Tighe said.

So Villa have chosen to act. “Looks like they’re pressing on with Suzuki regardless,” he continued, “and they’re trying to take control of the situation and not be caught short if Emi Martinez decides that he wants to go.”

A bold move, then: secure the future in goal first, solve the World Cup winner’s exit later.

Villa eye £50m move for Pape Sarr

The shake-up is not limited to the goalkeeper department.

Villa are still active in the market and are tracking Tottenham midfielder Pape Sarr, with the 21-year-old Senegal international firmly on their radar.

According to Caught Offside, Spurs would be prepared to consider a sale if a suitable offer lands on the table. There has already been an enquiry from Al-Ahli, while Villa and Brentford are monitoring the situation closely.

Earlier suggestions put Sarr’s price around £30million. That figure has shifted. Tottenham now value him closer to £50million, buoyed by strong negotiating leverage: they do not need to sell, and Sarr is under contract until 2030.

Villa, then, stand at a fascinating crossroads: a new No.1 incoming, a World Cup winner potentially edging towards the exit, and a £50million midfield target in their sights. How aggressively they move in the coming weeks will say plenty about the scale of their ambition.