Kenya Sport

Carrick Dismisses ‘Favourable Start’ Talk as United Eye Title Challenge

Michael Carrick is having none of it. Hull away, Ipswich at home – promoted sides both – might look like a gentle glide into the new campaign from a distance. Up close, the Manchester United manager sees something very different.

“For all of us to know this league, there’s no favourable start, I think it’s a tough start,” he said, pushing back at the idea that the fixture list has been kind. “A promoted team away from home is a tough game.”

United open at Hull on Saturday before welcoming Ipswich to Old Trafford the following Sunday. On paper, it reads like a soft launch for a club that finished third last season. Carrick’s memory of newly promoted opponents tells him otherwise.

“I’ve been involved in them in the past so I’m fully aware of what’s coming at us on Saturday, what we’ve got to be ready for,” the 45-year-old said. “So it’s not favourable. It’s an easy thing to throw out there. But it’s pretty ridiculous in a certain way, [we are] not taking it that way at all.”

He does not want excuses baked into the narrative before a ball is kicked. He wants edge.

From interim lift to title talk

Carrick has earned the right to talk bigger. He took interim charge in January, steadied a listing side, and drove United to third place. Four months later he was confirmed as permanent manager on the strength of that surge.

The natural next question is the one he cannot dodge: can this team jump from third to champions?

“It is going to be a jump,” he admitted. “I would never say we can’t – I don’t believe that. But it’s about what we are capable of doing as a group.

“The run of form we had last season gives us a lot of confidence, but we know there is a whole new step to make. We are pushing to do that. It’s exciting. We have the potential to achieve things and we will definitely give it everything we can. We have to believe we are a good team and can do good things.”

No grand declarations. No title guarantees. But no ceiling either. Carrick is pinning this season on collective growth and a belief that last spring’s form can be a platform, not a high-water mark.

Transfers, fine margins and a race against the window

To make that leap, United know the squad needs more. The club are hopeful of landing Carlos Baleba from Brighton and believe they can do it for under £75m. The 20-year-old midfielder has been high on their list as they look to add legs and presence in the middle of the pitch.

They are also still hunting a left-back before the window shuts, a position that has nagged at the recruitment team all summer.

“We are looking to strengthen the squad, working towards that,” Carrick said. “We are trying to make the most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it and are in a good way to doing that so far.”

The message is clear: the squad that walks out at Hull will not be the final version Carrick wants to take into the heart of the season.

Mount a doubt for Hull

One key piece may not be available on opening day. Mason Mount is a doubt for the trip after taking a knock, leaving Carrick to sweat on the midfielder’s fitness as preparations tighten.

United’s manager has shut down talk of an easy start and cooled the temperature around title predictions. The fixtures are real, the jump is real, the transfer work is real.

Now comes the question that will define their season: can this group turn last year’s promise into something heavier when the whistle blows at Hull?