Newcastle Target Man City’s Nico Gonzalez for Midfield Rebuild
Newcastle United’s long, restless search for a new midfield heartbeat finally has a clear target – and a very familiar name at the top of the list.
After a summer spent sifting through options from Lucas Bergvall to Joao Palhinha, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Carlos Baleba and Nicolas Seiwald, the club is now in active talks to sign Manchester City midfielder Nico Gonzalez before the Sept. 1 deadline.
This is no loose rumour.
David Ornstein of The Athletic reported on Tuesday that Newcastle have opened discussions with City over a potential deal for the 24-year-old, with the club pushing hard to reinforce a midfield stripped of Sandro Tonali and Bruno Guimaraes.
“Newcastle United are in talks to sign Manchester City midfielder Nico Gonzalez,” Ornstein said, adding that a move for the Spaniard is one of several exploratory conversations as the Magpies reshape the centre of the pitch.
The Daily Mail’s Simon Jones backed up that line, stating that Newcastle have held exploratory talks with City and are “working on” a deal for Gonzalez. The midfielder only joined the Premier League champions from Porto in January 2025 for €60 million (£52 million), underlining the scale of the talent Newcastle are trying to prise away.
From La Masia to Tyneside?
Gonzalez arrives at this point in his career with a strong pedigree.
A La Masia product, he came through Barcelona’s famed academy and broke into the first team as a teenager, featuring in LaLiga for Barça before a loan spell at Valencia gave him regular top-flight minutes in Spain. His performances there helped earn the move to Porto, where he developed further and convinced Manchester City to invest heavily.
Last season at City told a different story. Gonzalez made 41 appearances in all competitions, but Premier League starts dried up after January. He began only two league games in the second half of the campaign, though he still logged 1,567 minutes across 25 EPL outings and scored once.
The quality is there. The pathway is not.
Ornstein noted that Gonzalez publicly stated earlier this month that he wanted to stay and fight for his place at City. But with the route to regular minutes blocked by the depth of Pep Guardiola’s squad, a move now looks logical for player and buying club alike.
Newcastle’s new midfield focal point
On Tyneside, the picture is very different.
Newcastle are not offering Gonzalez a rotation role. They are offering responsibility. A starting berth. A chance to become the leader of a rebuilt midfield in the Matthias Jaissle era after the exits of two of the side’s most influential players in Tonali and Guimaraes.
The club have already brought in teenagers Sean Steur and Aladji Bamba this summer, but those are signings for tomorrow. Jaissle needs a midfielder for today – someone around whom he can immediately construct his system, someone who can carry the tactical and emotional weight in the centre of the pitch.
Gonzalez fits that profile: technically educated at Barcelona, hardened in LaLiga and Portugal, tested in the Premier League.
Deal not done – but momentum is clear
For now, Newcastle’s talks with Manchester City remain in the exploratory phase. There is no agreement yet, no medical booked, no announcement imminent.
What changes the tone is the calibre of the reporting. When Ornstein flags a developing transfer and it is echoed by other national outlets, it usually signals serious intent and meaningful progress behind the scenes.
Newcastle still have work to do to turn interest into a signature. But as the deadline creeps closer and the need for a new midfield cornerstone grows sharper, the focus on Nico Gonzalez is only tightening.
If the club get this over the line, Jaissle’s Newcastle will not just have plugged a gap – they will have chosen the player around whom the next version of the Magpies is built.




