Taylor Harwood-Bellis: Southampton's Best Centre-Back Amid Transfer Interest
Tonda Eckert has no doubts about Taylor Harwood-Bellis. None at all.
As Aston Villa circle and the transfer noise grows louder, the Southampton head coach has nailed his colours to the mast, branding the 24-year-old “the best centre-back in the Championship last season” and one of the standout defenders in the country.
Harwood-Bellis arrived at St Mary’s from Manchester City in 2023, first on loan and then permanently for £20m after Southampton triggered the clause in his deal. Since then he has grown into the defensive leader of a promotion-chasing side and, in 2024, that form was rewarded with an England cap in the Nations League against the Republic of Ireland.
No surprise, then, that the market has woken up.
Southampton have already swatted away interest from Benfica and this week rejected a bid from Aston Villa worth more than £18m. The south-coast club are understood to want around £25m for a player they see as central to their plans and whose value has only climbed since he signed.
Coaching Perspective
Eckert, speaking before Saturday’s Championship home game against Stoke, made it clear where he stands.
“We know how important Taylor is for us,” he told BBC Radio Solent. “I think he's been the best centre-back in the Championship last season.
“It's completely normal that if you are among the best centre-backs in the country there is interest, and there has been.
“He's always dealt with it in a great way, very professional, but he's a Southampton player.
“In the end my job is to train the players. There are some decisions for the board and owners to take.”
The message is blunt: Eckert wants him, and until the hierarchy say otherwise, Harwood-Bellis plays.
And he will play. The Saints boss confirmed he is happy to start the defender against Stoke, pointing to how the centre-back handled a similar situation at the end of the January window.
“On 31 January, before we went to Stoke, there was heavy interest for him and he played one of the best games for us,” Eckert said.
Villa are pushing, the numbers are rising, and the window still has room to twist. For now, though, Southampton’s best defender stays where he is — and keeps starting games while the board weigh up just how high the bidding has to go.




