Inquest into Nobby Stiles' Death: CTE Confirmed
Nobby Stiles, the toothless terrier of England’s 1966 World Cup triumph, died with a traumatic brain injury and chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a court has heard, as a coroner ruled that an inquest into his death must finally be held.
Stiles, a Manchester-born defensive midfielder who became an icon for club and country, died in 2020 aged 78. He had been living with dementia, and his family have long argued that the sport he served so ferociously ultimately destroyed his health.
Now, the legal process is catching up.
Coroner: “An inquest is required”
At Stockport coroner’s court, area coroner for Greater Manchester South, Chris Morris, said a full inquest will take place after a neuropathology expert examined Stiles’ brain and medical records.
Morris told the court that, “for reasons not entirely clear to me”, Stiles’ death was not reported to the coroner’s office at the time, and that the investigation only began after fresh information from the family.
The delay has proved significant. Stiles’ brain was examined by neuropathologist Dr Daniel du Plessis, who, after reviewing his records, concluded that the primary cause of death was Alzheimer’s disease. But that was not the whole story.
Dr du Plessis also found that high-stage CTE contributed to his death, alongside what was described as “stage three limbic predominant age related TDP-43” and small vessel cerebrovascular disease. Crucially, CTE is a traumatic brain injury, historically associated with repeated head impacts.
On that basis, Morris said: “On the basis of that cause of death, particularly the inclusion of a traumatic injury included in the cause of death, I’m satisfied an inquest is required into the sad death of Mr Stiles.”
The full inquest will be heard on Wednesday at the same court.
A World Cup hero at the centre of football’s reckoning
Norbert “Nobby” Stiles was born in Manchester in 1942 and grew into one of the defining figures of English football’s golden summer of 1966. A tough-tackling, combative presence at the base of midfield, he won 28 caps for England and made nearly 400 appearances for Manchester United.
His jig at Wembley with the Jules Rimet trophy and his false teeth in his sock became part of English sporting folklore. Decades later, the image of him in his final years, ravaged by dementia, became a symbol of something far darker: the price players may have paid for repeatedly heading heavy footballs in an era with little medical oversight.
His son John Stiles has been one of the most outspoken voices in the fight for recognition and support. He has said bluntly that football “killed” his father. Forced to sell his World Cup winner’s medal to fund care, the family’s story has become a rallying point for others living with similar consequences.
John Stiles now heads Football Families for Justice (FFJ), a group pressing the game’s authorities to take far greater responsibility for former players suffering neurodegenerative conditions.
Legal battle over duty of care
The Stiles family are among dozens of former players and relatives suing the Football Association, the Football Association of Wales and the English Football League. The claim is stark: that these bodies were “negligent and in breach of their duty of care” to those who played the game professionally.
Lawyers acting for the families argue that football authorities knew, or should have known, that repeated heading in training and matches was likely to cause brain injuries, and that those risks had been understood for decades.
The governing bodies reject that characterisation. In March, lawyers for The Football Association told the High Court that it has “not been established by science” that heading the ball or “occasional” concussion leads to permanent brain damage.
That clash between lived experience and legal argument now sits at the heart of the sport’s moral debate.
A pattern that’s becoming impossible to ignore
Nobby Stiles is not an isolated case. In January, an inquest into the death of Gordon McQueen, the former Scotland, Manchester United and Leeds United defender, concluded that heading the ball was “likely” to have contributed to a brain injury which played a part in his death. McQueen, like Stiles, was diagnosed with CTE.
His daughter, TV presenter Hayley McQueen, has spoken of how England’s 1966 World Cup-winning team has been “pretty much wiped out” by neurodegenerative disease. The heroes of ’66, once immortalised in grainy black-and-white footage, are now central figures in a very modern health crisis.
The numbers back up the concern. A landmark study co-funded by The FA and the Professional Footballers’ Association in 2019 found that former professional footballers were three-and-a-half times more likely to die of neurodegenerative disease than people of the same age in the general population.
The sport has begun to react. The FA is phasing out heading in youth football up to under-11s by 2026, a move that would have seemed unthinkable a generation ago. For families like the Stiles and McQueen households, it is progress, but it has come painfully late.
The inquest into Nobby Stiles’ death will not change the past. It will, though, place one of English football’s most cherished champions at the centre of a formal legal examination of what the game knew, when it knew it, and what it chose to do.
For a sport built on headers, tackles and bravery, the next question is unavoidable: how many more of its greats will it lose before it finally decides that is too high a cost?




